Thanks ‘Travel and Get Lost‘ for the nomination. I really appreciate it! This is a great program to get the travel information and inspiration flowing through those that are trying to get started. So although it is not a true award, it feels pretty great to know that fellow bloggers are keeping up with your stuff and consider you worthy of recognition.
Here are the 10 questions asked of me:
1. What is the best thing you have ever done during one of your travels?
The best thing I have ever done is a toss up between new luxury and old luxury (though I do rather enjoy roughing it). When you travel the world it is hard to narrow it down to the ‘best’ places or things but my top two would be (1) spending a day on a yacht with some new friends in Monte Carlo, and (2) spending a night in a Scottish castle with my family.
The yacht was completely by surprise (and explained in detail in my ‘Nice/Monte Carlo’ blog). It was the most luxurious 30 hours I have ever had in my life and was a welcome break from the less luxurious world of backpacking.
The castle was planned. My whole family did a road trip through Scotland and one of our stops was a B&B inside an old castle. I was pretty sure it was haunted but the whole experience was perfect. Being with my family, spending time with their resident donkeys, sleeping in rooms that looked original, and wandering corridors looking at paintings whose eyes followed you. I would recommend this experience to anyone visiting Scotland.
2. What is your favorite food experience when travelling?
My favourite food experience was in Rome, Italy. My friend and I were on our way to the Vatican and had decided to stop at a small shop. We looked over the menu and nothing jumped. Then the man beside us was brought the best looking pizza and pasta we had every seen. Turns out he was the owner and it was his ‘special’. We got the same. I can’t tell you what was so great about it but the whole ‘off the menu’ thing just made it stand out.
3. What is your best advice for jet lag?
Stay awake? Honestly. I am pretty effected by Jet lag so the best thing you can do is try to stay up until the evening and then go to sleep for a full nights rest. There is also a homeopath that my mom gave me called ‘jet lag’. I have yet to try it but maybe something worth looking into if you are into that kind of thing?
4. Your next trip will go to?
My next trip will likely be to a place that has elephants. I would love to volunteer at an elephant sanctuary or be a part of their lives in a positive way (so not riding them through thailand)
5. How do you plan your travels? Very detailed or just go and let’s see?
Usually I am a huge planner, right down to the hour. But this 2 month trip to Europe that I am currently on has all been winging it. For the most part it has worked out perfectly. There have been a few days spent in transition and a few opportunities missed that needed pre-booking, but for the most part I am really enjoying the ability to change plans on a whim.
6. Do you have any really bad experiences when travelling?
My travel partner and I did a 5 hour hike in Santorini with our 30lb bags. It was exhausting and would have been worth it if I had not gotten a horrible case of heat stroke and spent the whole evening and next day sick in bed in a 16 person dorm with bathrooms I would not wish upon my worst enemy.
One other negative experience that has been more of an emotional one was Italy. Italy is pretty brutal when it comes to cat-calling and hollering and after my 3 weeks there were up I was more than ready to leave. Italy is a beautiful place and has some great attractions but there is no way I would go back without a man by my side (hopefully a deterrent to the constant bombardment).
7. What inspired you to start your blog?
I am a copywriter by trade and a photographer for fun so I figured a travel blog with photo journalism would be a great way to put my two passions to work for other people. I hope to create an entertaining information portal for people looking to travel where I have been and get some useful information as well as a good laugh.
8. What is your favorite book about travelling?
I have only read one. “Neither Here Nor There” by Bill Bryson. It had great information and was in the form of a comedy, how I intend to write my blog. I would recommend it to those not looking for a straight up guidebook.
9. What is your favorite film about travelling?
My favourite film about traveling would be… hmmm… does PS: I love you count? Cause if so. That. haha. Although I was recently informed by an Irish girl that not all Irish men are like those in the movie. Sad news.
10. How many countries have you been to?
By the end of this trip I will be up to 21 countries. 🙂 I keep a list on my Introductions blog.
Now it is my turn to nominate 10 travel bloggers. The rules are as follows:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you
- Answer their questions
- Nominate 10 other travel bloggers who have less than 600 followers
- Ask them 10 questions of your own
- Rich Grundy: Just Another Backpacker
- Travels of a Doc
- The Travel Jot
- The Traveling Jar
- Mikayla Milbourne: Ticket to Wanderlust
- Brunette Traveler
- Justin Frick: Young Wander Life
- Jess Buchan: A Blonde and her Passport
- Daniella Konig: Happy Travels Puravida
- Worldwide Peekaboo
My questions for you:
- Where was the first place you traveled outside of your own state/province?
- Do you prefer to travel alone, with one friend, with a group of friends or with family?
- Where do I need to visit in my lifetime?
- Have you found any hidden gems that are not in most travel blogs?
- If you have traveled multiple countries, where do you think had the nicest people?
- Which city has the best train/metro/tram network?
- What is one or two of the best ‘tourist’ locations in your own city?
- What is the most you paid for a meal while traveling? where? what did you get?
- Where do you promote your blog and what social media accounts do you use for it?
- The best travel tip you ever received?
Please leave the link to your blog post in my comments 🙂 Look forward to reading!